The Machinima Masters category is by invite only and new entrants are decided upon by those who are already considered Masters. The Masters compete against each other in their own category. It’s kind of a “Hall of Fame” type category as we feel these are the machinimators that go above and beyond in making machinima and their work could be considered “masterpieces”. It is our hope that they will serve as inspiration to everyone who participate at SimsFilmFest.
What makes a Machinima Master?
The staff have debated this behind the scenes for quite some time, so here are some of the main things we have decided make a Master:
- Previous machinimas that make us say “wow” and are a true inspiration to us;
- Excellence in editing skills including film editing (music, sound, voice and video);
- Interesting and unique camera work;
- Good lighting techniques when filming in game;
- Attention to detail in set design and wardrobe;
- Interesting and unique story lines;
- While special effects are not a necessity, if they are used they are used with top notch skill.
How are Machinima Masters chosen?
A number of seasons back a strict process was put in place to ensure that Masters were chosen fairly.
- First time entrants are not eligible for Masters. This rule was put in place to ensure that directors can continue to produce the same quality machinima.
- Masters are nominated and chosen by those who are already in the Masters category.
- Everyone is judged based on their own technical and creative merit and not against each other.
- There is no set number of Masters that are chosen each season. There are no “empty spots” as it were. Some seasons will see more Masters than others based on the entries received.